Saturday, August 4, 2007

my pony

Just thinking about when I was a teenager and I had a pony that I rode all over the place. He did not have a nice name (Rawhide), he was not very handsome, nor could he do anything special. But, he loved me. He did not let others ride him much, and even bit them at times. He was not easy to ride or to control. He listened to my leading, however, and I could get him to do almost anything I asked. He even crossed hard to get through places for me. We had a great time together.

I broke him at the beach, thinking it wouldn't hurt to land in the water . . . He didn't buck or fuss at all. So I took him to the shore and when I got back on he took a few steps. All of a sudden he took off bucking! Once I was on the ground he just stood there staring at me. He didn't run away as I thought, he just came up to me and nudged me with his head. So I got back on, and that was the end of it! I rode him a while and then lead him home.

He became my best friend. In contrast to people, he didn't lie, didn't betray me, always forgave me if I did something wrong to him, and he trusted me. I told him all of my heartaches and spent many hours just sitting on him and laying my head on his neck. I found healing in his friendship.

In the spring of my senior year in high school, we were in a car accident that took his life and almost took mine. For many years I could not forgive myself. Now I am thankful for the memories, and wish I could tell him 'thank you'.

2 comments:

Sandra Bonner Babb said...

Fawn,
I loved your painting lesson and your story about the pony. Your work has a lot of dept. If you come through North Ga on your way North give me a call.
Sandra Babb

Fawn McNeill Barr said...

Thank you Sandra, if you email me , please send your information!