Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Boards

I went to the Home Depot to get a large board to cut down and prime for painting on. Thought I would save some money. My quality canvas boards cost about 35 bucks for ten, if they are already primed and ready to paint on.

The man that was working said he could cut them down for me and it wouldn't cost too much. So I said sure. I needed 8 x 10 or 9 x 12 inches. As he was cutting, every board came out to a different size. not even close to either of the sizes I stated. I was getting frustrated thinking I would have to pay for it and not have one the correct size. When he was finished I informed him that I could not use those, they had to be 8 x 10, or 9 x 12 inches, or at least very close.

He informed me that he did not have a saw that could cut precisely and said " you should have told me they had to be a certain size, you said it could just be close." I informed him politely that I had told him the size I needed and he didn't even get close to either size!

He began to try again on a new board. Now I am calculating the 14 dollars for each large board twice! and they still had to be sanded and primed. So much for saving money!
He got two rows correct and one long piece that was too short to even make the 8 inches. I told him that was fine, could he just get as many 8 by 10 boards out of the first two rows . . . He did.

Then he told me that you have to take into account that the blade takes away part of the board, so out of a 24 inch side you can not get three equal rows of 8 inches.

I was a little ticked by now, and I said, "You work here, not me, you should have known that. I have never cut things with a saw!"

I ended up with 9 - 8 x 10 inch boards or close enough to be able to frame them. I was very upset at this point and asked him how much I owed him as he wrote up a ticket.

All it said was $2.01, so I thought it would be $2 for each board, and I was OK with that. The lady at the register charged me $2.o1 for all of the boards. I asked her if it wasn't for each board, and she said no, it is for all of them. Then I told her that could not be correct. She said that if I didn't get the board whole and it didn't turn out right, then I wouldn't be charged for it.

I felt like a heel.

Now I am priming and sanding my boards and more than happy to pay the $35.00 for ten ready to paint on canvas boards!

No comments: