Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lake Placid Show

This Saturday is the Annual Lake Placid Art League show, held in Sebring, Florida. This is one of my favorite shows because I sign up early and get an indoor spot. No setting up a tent!

I have been slowly working at getting new frames all year. It is fun having so many pieces to choose from now, and to be able to put together a very impressive presentation! The Judge last year let me know after the awards were given that the only hesitation he had in giving me the highest award (Best of Show) was because so many of my paintings were on Gallery Wrap and some of my framed pieces were in need of better frames. Gallery Wrap canvas has a deep edge, and the painting continues on the sides. This gives the art a contemporary look, which I love! But this year I have gone back to a more traditional look, with less paintings done on Gallery Wrap.

It is wonderful to be at a show in the midst of all the festivities, and have so many people to talk to about the meaning behind the paintings. Winning awards and selling paintings are very motivating as well!

It is just all the preparation, expense, set up, and brake down that make me hesitate in joining these shows.

Each time you do a show you put your art at risk. Frames get banged up and scratched from loading and unloading. Rainy days are no fun at all, but windy is worse. I have seen gusts of wind come out of no where and take tents down and destroy the art work. On top of all that, I have had art stolen at two different outdoor festivals. Quite discouraging.

I have also had some back problems off and on over the years. I am always by myself setting up and taking down a show, which I have gotten much better at managing by asking for help with the heavy stuff.

You can see why I am more selective these days: Indoor shows, gallery shows and on-line events are all great ways for me to still get involved without so much trouble.

Anyway, I have been getting ready for this show all year, and I am sure it will be well worth it to meet new people and see old friends.

No comments: