Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving for surgery

So very much to be thankful for:
No more wheel chair for Robert-- he is using a walker now.
He no longer sits in silence, he reads the paper and talks on the phone.
His hands no longer shake and he can do most things for himself again.
He tells jokes and laughs at those that are told to him.


What a miracle!



Turned out that the bigger problem was excess fluid putting pressure on his brain, so much so that he lost mobility and dexterity, not to mention speech and normal thought processes. The last week before the neurosurgeon put the shunt in his head to drain the excess fluids, I thought I had lost him forever. Last Friday was the surgery, and we came home Tues. just two days ago.



Today is Thanksgiving day, and I have not been so grateful for anything in my whole life as I have for this. To watch someone so strong become so helpless, and to watch them fade away and become so vacant . . .there are no words to describe the agony and helplessness I felt.


And now to watch him come back to life, back to his personality, back to finding hope to go on . . . Wow. God is good, and I thank him over and over for using the doctors to save my husband.


Now we have to see what can be done about this little tumor in his ear . . . I am sure only more good things are on the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto your website and it is so beautiful. I am so glad your husbands surgery went so well. My son is going through the teenage years and it is so tough on my husband and I to see him seeming to turn his back on God. It encouraged me to read your testimony. Thank you so much.
I also love to paint, my favorite medium is watercolor. I too marvel at God's creation and I feel you do a wonderful job of not only capturing the realistic side but the emotional, spiritual side.
I will pray for you,
CK

Fawn McNeill Barr said...

Thank you!
Both of my sons turned away from the teachings I tried to instill in them. One has come back to believing, and the older one is beginning to ask questions . . . Hang in there, God hears your heart, His answers are on the way. Sometimes we just can't see how he uses all these hard things to bring us closer to Himself.
I hope you keep painting! It is such a great way to worship God, to give him credit for all he has created.
Thanks again,Fawn